Spam Musubi (18 to 20 pieces)
List of Ingredients and Items:
- 1 can of spam
- 2 packages of dried seaweed sheets for sushi
- 3 cups of cooked rice, cooled to room temp
- An acrylic spam musubi mold (found at an asian supermarket or online)
- Ready-made teriyaki sauce
- Cutting board
- Shallow bowl of water
- Cut the spam into 1/4″ pieces, roughly 9 to 10 slices per can
- Cut the seaweed sheets in half lengthwise with clean kitchen scissors
- Fry the spam pieces over medium high heat with no oil, until lightly crisped on both sides
- In a shallow dish, pour in some of the ready-made teriyaki sauce
- Dip the fried spam in the teriyaki sauce to lightly coat
- Fry the dipped slices over medium heat for a 1 to 2 minutes
- On a cutting board, lay down a half cut sheet of seaweed
- Place the rectangular mold on the seaweed; place a slice of spam inside
- Scoop up some cooked rice into the mold (roughly 1″ of rice). Press down with the musubi mold ‘stamper’ to compact the rice. Remove the musubi mold from the rice.
- Wrap the seaweed around the rice. Use some water to seal the seaweed.
- Cut the spam musubi in half with a serrated knife.
- Cut little seaweed pieces for ‘eyes’ and decorate!