Ugh. My dad left me a huge container of awase (mix of red and white) miso and I’m desperate to not waste it.
I was planning to follow this Nobu recipe, but alas, it calls for white miso. And only white miso. I bought a couple of fresh and well-priced black cod fillets this morning at my local Japanese market and made the marinade with my leftover awase miso. Whoops!
I hope they don’t turn out too salty!
They turned out perfect!!! It was a perfect mix of sweet and savory. My SO gave it 5 Stars. I’m a happy (full) girl!
Image and recipe from rasamalaysia:
Recipe: Black Cod with Miso (Miso-marinated Black Cod)
Adapted from Nobu: The Cookbook
2-3 black cod fillets (about 1 lb)
For the marinate:
1/4 cup sake
1/4 cup mirin
4 tablespoons of white miso paste
3 tablespoons of sugar
- Mix the marinate ingredients thoroughly in a plastic container (with lid) and set aside. Save some for plating purposes.
- Pat the fish fillets dry with paper towels and put them into the plastic container with the marinate. Cover the lid and leave to steep in the refrigerator overnight or for 24 hours.
- Preheat oven to 400 degree F.
- Preheat an indoor grill at the same time.
- Lightly wipe off (with fingers) any excess miso marinate clinging to the fish fillets but don’t rinse it off. Place the fish on the grill and lightly grill on both sides until the surface turns brown.
- Transfer the fish fillets to the oven and bake for 10-15 minutes.
Add a few extra drops of the marinate on the plate and serve hot.