I’ve been thinking about shopping lately. More specifically, what pushes me to buy an item as opposed to putting it back on the racks.
A few suggestions I’ve picked up:
- Buy only if it makes you do a happy dance. (this is a GREAT suggestion! If you just feel ‘okay’ about it then its not worth it. It should make you feel spectacular and nothing less!)
- If there is any aspect of the item that bothers you it will still bother you after you buy it, so don’t buy
- Buy if its a high quality classic item (think of cost-per-wear! Thanks to shlee for reminding me about this!)
- Buy only if it doesn’t get you into debt
- Don’t buy if you already have a similar item
My wardrobe is already stocked with classics… so lately I turn to more trendy items to give it some excitement. It’s hard decide on a trendy item when you’re trying to incorporate it into your own personal style though. When is a trend really ‘you’ and when it is it just too much? I myself like items that have unique construction. Shredded sweaters or oversized tops with a strange cut for example.
Aside from the occasional F21 item I find myself ‘collecting’ more and more high-end clothes and accessories. I’m still not sure if this is a good or bad thing because although these things are of higher quality, they are also more expensive. Now I’m faced with a new problem. Forever 21 on clearance means dirt cheap prices but the quality is shoddy so its easy to turn away. But when I see a Prada cocktail dress for $150 at Loehmann’s on clearance, will I buy?? I probably only have 2 occasions MAX per year that would warrant said cocktail dress, but its Prada. Predicament!!!!
I don’t really know where I’m going with this post. haha.
I guess I’m just trying to remind myself to be picky… or else I’ll go broke! 😛