FACT: I do not like vegetables.
I like broccoli and sometimes green beans, depending on how they’re prepared.. but in general, since I was a small child I was a carb loving, meat eating monstahh.
Enter the BlendTec blender. I watched the Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead documentary a few years ago, and truthfully I wanted a juicer after seeing it. But the urge faded away.
Then I started to watch ItsJudysLife on Youtube and through their daily vlogs I noticed the blender that they had purchased. The BlendTec! I guess it didn’t help that it was the new year and I wanted to eat healthier. AND Costco was having a sale on the BlendTec blender AND I had a $40 gift card. I did do some research comparing the Ninja, the Vitamix, but in the end I still bought the BlendTec. (Side note: When I was in high school I had a summer job at the local ColdStone Creamery and I believe that we used a BlendTec back then.)
How much was it?
….$358 after discounts and giftcards.
I.KNOW. Justin thought I was a madwoman. HAHA!
I figured if I hated it I could return it using their generous return policy.
Well here we are… 3 months later, and we’ve used it exactly 87 times. The BlendTec has a built in counter display letting you know how many times you’ve used it. We’ve made tons of fruit smoothies and green juices. The nice thing about a blender vs. a juicer is you get all of the healthy fibers from fruits and veggies mixed into your drink.
For a time Justin was using the blender EVERY DAY for smoothies and adding protein powder after workouts. To my delight he agreed that it was a good purchase. *hehehehh smug smile* We still use 2x a week at the minimum and aside from the rice cooker (I’m still a carb monster) and the microwave, this appliance is 3rd in line.
Is it loud? YES. But it doesn’t stop me from using it.
The main reason why I wanted such a powerful blender was because I wanted to blend fibrous veggies (like kale) enough so that I wouldn’t FEEL the bits and pieces of plant material while drinking. And I feel that it does a superb job. There are many loyal Vitamix lovers out there, but I love my BlendTec
Just a note… for the following recipes we havn’t specifically measured out the ingredients but this is what we usually follow. Adjust or remove ingredients as needed 😀
Justin’s “Famous Fruit Smoovie” Recipe:
- Guava juice (enough to cover at least 1/2 of the dry ingredients, add more if too thick)
- 1 whole, peeled orange
- 1 handful of frozen strawberries (maybe 6?)
- 1 banana
- 1 handful of frozen pineapple
- 1 whole apple, cored but unpeeled (optional)
- A few tablespoons of coconut milk if you like a tropical feel (optional)
- 1 scoop of vanilla protein powder (optional)
Janelle’s Green Juice Recipe:
- Water (enough to cover at least 1/2 of the dry ingredients, but I like to add more to get more of a juice feel instead of a smoothie consistency)
- 4-5 handfulls of Spinach
- 1-2 handfulls of kale (no stems!)
- The juice of 1 lemon
- 1 whole apple, cored but unpeeled
- 1 handful of frozen strawberries
- 1 handful of frozen pineapple
- 2 tablespoons of chia seeds (for protein and omega-3s)
In the image above my mom had given me an acai & blueberry juice so I used it as a base instead of water. Using fruit juice instead of water really makes for a yummier smoothie!